Sunday, May 21, 2006

MaliBlue

We just got in from a weekend in Malibu, my hometown. Marc makes fun of me, but I am convinced the air is just sweeter there. I know, I know, it is still part of Smog Angeles, but the air always smells like sweet summer sage and sea salt to me. I have so many incredible memories of growing up on those shores, caked in salt water and burning to a crisp all summer long on the sand. The waves are friendlier, the water more inviting, and the shopping so much better. The friends and family I keep there make it that much sweeter, of course, but I think even the stars shine brighter up there. The kids were so fun in the pool at my family's house. They were so happy to be wild and showing off for the fam. It was a great weekend and I am blue over leaving some aspects of it. I am always anxious to return to San Diego, desperate to not prolong the inevitable car trip any longer than we have to with 2 small children. They actually did great on the ride, both ways, thanks to the DVD player. Sometimes, parenting is not totally conventional and we are forced to lean heavily on modern conveniences. Sometimes, really, it is all about survival....in the car, in a race, in a workout, in life. I think training makes me a better parent. It puts everything into perspective.
I took today off and only ran 6 miles yesterday. Dropped hubs off in the parking lot of the Michael Landon (deny it, but you know you loved Little House on the Praire) park in the Bu, where he met Ironman Mike for a ride. I then ran a little loop, nice and easy, about 45 minutes. Not sure, exactly, since I didn't wear my watch. It was freeing. There were a ton of cyclists out on PCH, soaking up the sun. The sun! What a concept! There was sun there, too! I had almost forgotten what it was like in all this May gray. The view was beautiful and drinking in the air was intoxicating. Now, it is back to the grind. Think I am a little blue over the Bu.

No comments: