Thursday, May 25, 2006

10 more days

Can that be true? 10 days sounds like nothing...and it is. I am beginning to feel terrified, like this pit in my stomach will not be ignored anymore. I am looking for any sign of injury or illness to derail me as an excuse not to run the marathon. I keep taking inventory of the body parts and questioning if they all feel intact. The body really is a machine. The parts are designed and intended to work together, but sometimes one little something is out of alignment and all bets are off. My back truly aches today.

Tempo run. 3 mile warm up and then a 4 mile tempo run around UCSD's campus. Finished in 29:56. The first mile was 7:22, which was smooth and comfy, considering we usually run tempo pace at 6:45ish. I checked my watch the second mile, we were at 14:57. I forgot to look at mile 3 and then finished just under 30 minutes. I think we picked it up a little the last mile or so. I feel satisfied with that, knowing that last mile is the hardest with the steep hill they don't call Bishops and Chunks for no reason (because it is a 2 part hill and about 11 years ago, someone by the name of Bishop left some chunks there on hill repeats). It all felt pretty good.

I hope I don't live to regret this last tempo workout. I am not sure exactly what is advised. When one asks 10 different people, one will get 10 different answers about the proper way to taper coming into the final days. I think my body is telling me it is time to back it off and enjoy the taper. I am feeling all the little fibers in my muscles...really, everything hurts today, not just my legs. My back is aching, my arches are talking, my quads feel a little tender. Shall I go on about my butt?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Got your link from guernseyman. Congrats on competing in the Elite category for the marathon. That's awesome.

amrunner said...

Thanks so much. If only I were "elite". To pretend for a day, right?