Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Long and The Short of It

"It" as in "the Run". Yesterday was the 21 mile "Killer Loop" with the group, and what a group it was. I think at our high point, there were 12 or 14 of us? Most of us began on the beach and headed West over the first bridge, in, what else? Rain. Thankfully, the rain ended as quickly as it came on, and we were hardly wet for the wear.

Over the first bridge and on to pick up a couple more runners, as well as Stephanie, our support crew. How cool is it that this woman (who is not running right now for some reason not clear to me), met us at various points on the loop for hydration. She had all kinds of nutrition in the back of her minivan. It was like being in a race. Very cool. Anyway, we picked up more runners at mile 11, I think, and as the group grew, so did the chatter, which was very cool. One thing I realize more and more is that there are so many great conversationalists in this crew, I would never have to speak a word if I chose not to. Actually, I am wise to keep my mouth shut, since the more I divulge, the more ammunition they have to use against me. Yesterday they bagged on me about how much I talk about California. Can I help it that I am from the Superior Coast? I need to remind them periodically.

Anyway, we continued to run, and many of these guys started complaining about the Wabasso bridge, how steep it is, how hard it is, on and on. I began feeling nervous about the incline the way they were talking, but I need not have worried: it was about as steep as anything else around here...not very. We caught part of the Jungle Trail and then headed South toward home. Around mile 16, we were desperate for Stephanie again, wondering where our water was. Turns out, she turned the North at Jungle Trail and was waiting for us in the wrong place. By mile 17, we were so parched, we stopped at John's Island (or JI, as the locals call it) and hit up the guard at the gate up for some water. We continued on another 4 miles back to the cars. A quick dip in the ocean to finish a great run. How is it possible I was stung again by another jelly? These little guys are nasty.

The day only got better from there. We spent it in West Palm Beach with lunch at Whole Foods and then a tour of Jupiter Island, looking for Tiger's house. The island is beautiful, *beautiful* with tons of greenery and even little rolling hills on the golf courses. On to the town of Tradition, where our family ran a 5K to raise awareness for Child Abuse and neglect. I ran along side Owen, with Ryan in the stroller to support her. Marc was second finisher overall, despite the heat, and Owen was third in the under 10 division. They both came home with trophies, which was grand. The kids played on the inflatable jumpers and ate junk food, while we spoke with the team that entered from Marc's work. It was all really enjoyable, until out of nowhere, the sky opened up and it began to POUR rain on us. Lightning in the sky, people running for cover, cars madly trying to get out of the parking lot all made for an interesting finish to the day. We left around 9:00 pm, exhausted, but happy.

So, I feel good about running the mileage, despite the fact the day started and ended in crazy moments of fleeting rain. The kind that is just enough to get one wet, but nothing more than a minor inconvenience. The 5K was really rewarding, to see Marc run strong and Owen place in her little division. It is all worth it, if we can encourage a love of exercise in our kids. Even little Ryan was happy running along in the stroller. He never complained once.

No comments: