Wednesday, September 19, 2007

For Something New and Different...

....rain today. What a surprise. Actually, when I left the house this morning, it was not yet raining. I arrived at the track, parked my car, climbed over the gate to get in, and saw Dr. George already running the workout. I ran one whole 200 before it began to drizzle. By the time I reached the start, it was a true rain. After a 2 mile warm up, the sky opened up and began to dump. I was drenched and dripping with both sweat and rain when my friend, Lori, arrived, a pathetic towel over her head, as if this were to protect her from the elements. She was already soggy just the short walk from her car. Because Dr. George had beat us to the track, he was almost done with his Yassos when I finished my warmup. He had to get to the hospital for an early surgery. That man is a lunatic.

Funny thing about this small town: the only thing the people love more here than their precious high school football team is the football field on which they practice. So, the gate is always locked and there are many signs posted to keep out. This, of course, does not deter the people I run with, rough crowd of runners. Apparently, just before my time here, there was a little run-in with the law, and some words were exchanged as to why some innocent runners could not carelessly run in circles. The police told them they were trespassing and would be arrested if they were to come back. Someone pulled some strings and used his teacher card to grant access to the Sun Runners with some imaginary key that I have not seen yet. Tom is supposed to pick up the key on Tuesday afternoons and return it Wednesday morning after the workout, but he cannot be bothered to trek over to the office to get it. I have since joined in the fun of running scared. It makes the workout interesting, when we are lurking in the shadows every time a cop car drives by and lingers just a little bit, watching and waiting. Even more interesting is the climb over the metal gate, as it tatters back and forth against its post, slick from the ever-present rain.I am not sure which is less appealing: running in fear of lightening or running in fear of getting arrested?

Anyway, we didn't have to worry about the cops this morning, since I guess they figured we are all stubborn but not stupid enough to run in the cats and dogs that were coming down. Isn't it amazing that these stupid people are surgeons and lawyers and engineers and financial planners? Yeah, there are some issues in this crowd. We ran a mile, followed by two 800s, another mile and then two more 800s, Lori's choice. I have come to really like her. Originally from some middle of America state I cannot recall, she relocated to New York, worked her tail off to become extremely successful, married a man 20 years her senior and then landed in Vero to raise their now 6 year old daughter. Lori has this real easy way about her, mild in speech and manner. Built like a runner, tall and lean with beautiful legs that carry her. She has a striking smile that is distracting, a brilliant mind, and is so real. Most people here are very real. I like that she is a transplant from a large city, too, because I think she feels my pain.

Anyway, another day of rain. I left with shorts that were so wet and heavy, I could barely walk to my car-or climb back over the gate- since they hung on my tired legs. Not sure which were heavier, the shorts or my legs. Now it is off to spin class. The spin teacher on Wednesday nights reminds me of a Barbie I once gave a bad haircut to as a child. Impossible dimensions with fake boobs and ridiculously tan, she has a beautiful face with tiny features. She is striking in appearance with her smoking figure, pastel blue eyes and high cheek bones. All things on her appear to be perfect, except for the hair detail...it is shorter than boy short, cropped carelessly close to her head and bleached a platnum I did not know existed on the color spectrum. She is a great spin instructor, though, and will kick us in gear. Her favorite thing to yell out in the middle of a steep set is, "Okay, those of you who are crazy, turn the knob another notch to the right....come on...come with me. I know you are all crazy. We are fitness addicts!"

Guess I won't have to worry about the rain inside the spin studio and, thankfully, the weather held off long enough yesterday for the kids to start tennis. Very cute. Tonight gymnastics...inside. We are going to be grateful for the little things around here.

No comments: