Sunday, August 20, 2006

Malibu, the Beautiful versus America's Finest City

So, last weekend we were in Malibu. The kids were running through my family's vineyard and riding scooters in the circular drive. We threw the football until after dark and played ping pong in the front, as any good trailer trash Malibu family should. It was a fabulous time. I ache to be with them again.

I realized last weekend as I ran along Malibu Beach just how out of touch with reality these locals really are. I think it is kind of funny that my fam has all of these crazy comforts in their home. The huge house equipt with pool and spa, the rolling vineyard overlooking the pacific, the ocean views and Murphy beds all come with the territory, I suppose (though the elevator is a little over the top). I have always taken these things for granted growing up in the hood. Now being out of that element for 10 years and raising a family of my own, I see just how surreal that part of my life was. It was totally normal to babysit for people who had media rooms and bowling allies in their homes. It was a given that these people had huge sprawling properties with verandas and palapas galore. I knew no other way of life outside of indulging beside the pool and beach....enter my life presently.

Here I am, a decade later last weekend, running down Malibu Road reading the signs people hang on their beachfront homes. Signs that read: "Mermaid Crossing". It was 5:45 am and I witnessed what looked like a beautiful painting: one single fisherman standing out on the reef with his fishingpole and tack, enjoying the morning of solitude. Even if he caught nothing, he caught the beautiful sunrise and enjoyed the ocean air. The waves were calm and the sand was smooth, mine were the only footprints moving forward. The wind was quiet and so was my mood. My feet were gliding over the beach. It was almost emotional, really, when I think of it. We really are living in a dream, right? I consider the fact that I am existing on a serious budget in San Diego with a hardworking husband, trying to make the dream a reality. The dream is that of being able to own a home and still have food on the table, plus lead the kind of quality life we want to lead. All of these races are getting expensive!

Today was America's Finest City Half Marathon, and I had to consider the possibility that as much as I love and miss my home town, perhaps San Diego lives up to this claim of being the Finest. It sure felt that way, as we charged down from Cabrillo National Monument. Marc and I were fortunate enough to gain free entry into the race, courtsey of the Tri Club of San Diego. The day began with us boarding the Charter buses from Balboa Park, the race finish. We, unfortunately, got on the bus with the rockin' out driver from hell. I am pretty sure he was convinced he was in the race himself, driving that shuttle. He roared around the turns in Point Loma graded for 30 miles per hour at about 60. All the while, music blaring so loudly we could barely carry on conversation. We made it to the start with an hour to wait. Thankfully the weather was a pleasant 70 degrees and we chatted it up with fellow runners. The music was rolling at the start, Cool and the Gang, "Celebrate Good Times" . Tracy and I joined in. We didn't care that we looked ridiculous. I was still dying laughing about how she talked about passing the cornish game hen she ate for dinner the night before. We runners are disgusting, I know. A few minutes after 7:00 am and we were off.

My plan was to hold 7:30 pace, knowing the danger of going out too fast with the first 4 miles of the race all downhill. I always dread going down, both on bike and on foot, and today was no exception. Mile one was 7:14 pace, followed by another mile even faster, 7:11, then 7:15. I knew I had to back it off if I were to survive the killer uphill finish from mile 10 and on. Mile 4 came and I was sick of the downhill already. We hit the flats at mile 5 and I tried to get into some kind of normal pace. The flat felt akward and simply uncomfortable, really. We ran around Harbor Island, out a little loop. Just before mile 7, I decided to take a GU. Mile 8 came. I felt like I was shutting down. My legs were sore, my head was aching, I really was questioning my reason for wanting to do this race afterall. I thought of my friend, Jen, who I knew would be calling for the race report and I knew I had to do something about my negative attitude. That in conjunction with the GU, I was feeling more alive between mile 9 and 10. I was thinking that my sweet husband was already done and enjoying the fisnish. I was simply happy that I actually had turned the corner on that death feeling and I felt victorious as a result. I still cannot say I was in a rhythm, but I was beginning to pass people who had passed me at mile 8. Maybe it was the gradual uphill that began at mile 10, I was happy to be utilizing different muscles, at last. the race climbed and then at mile 12, it really began to climb into the park finish. I looked up to see a little bald headed baby in a baby carrier, strapped to the woman whose face I recognized as my friend Jen! She didn't call....she showed up at the race finish with her two beautiful boys! It was just the lift I needed to carry me up that long and dreadful last hill, though I was passing people left and right and it felt great. Up the hill, over the bridge and to the finish, I looked at my watch. It read 1:36 and change. I really wanted to be in the 1:37 range, but the finish line was just a little further than I anticipated. 1:38:24 was my finishing time, 7:30 pace exactly. I can live with that.

San Diego is, indeed, a fine city. On days like today, I am blessed and honored to live here and call it my residence. I still think of the Mermaid Sightings often, however. i long for the carefree and fleeting feeling life brings in LA. I think of that lonley fisherman I saw that early morning in Malibu, I think of the ocean up North and wonder if my kids will ever know that lack of reality. I am not even sure that is what I want for them, for my family. Maybe I just crave it myself from time to time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remain in awe of your run times. How do you get so fast? How long have you been running?

amrunner said...

You are so funny. I am not a quick chick. My first ever 1/2 marathon was one I hardly trained for and I ran it in sweat pants, a 1:37 high. That was January of 1997 and I have only ever run 1:38s since. I am not sure why that is? I can't seem to whittle the times down any more from that range. My track coach says that is representative of someone who runs 7 minute pace tempo runs. What is your tempo speed? You can get a gauge for what you will race from that, I am told.