Monday, November 23, 2009

What's "fair" about an Affair?

I think it should be an affarce.

I don't believe that old adage "Time heals all wounds" anymore. I think we are all a bunch injured people, walking around with seeping wounds that we have slapped some bandages on in order to try to function in a dysfunctional world. I think we forgive, but we never forget. I think we always have residual pain from wounds inflicted by others that are so deep, they cannot ever truly heal even into an ugly scar. And yet, we soldier on for the sake of those around us.

I have met so many people in the last two years who have had affairs or been afflicted by one. I have witnessed the destruction to the individuals the families involved with infidelity. I have seen the women waste away to nothing on the scale, starving themselves for some control after their husbands step out on them. I have been witness to men stuffing the emptiness of the wives who left them with alcohol, random women, and worse. Just like I don't get camping, I don't understand why we think we are going to find something better on the outside of our relationships. Why sleep on the ground when there is a delicious and comfortable, albeit predictable, bed back at home?

It is fine to explore the great outdoors- to hike and run and mountain bike-and then to return to the comforts of home. Why sleep with it? Why do we want to mix it up? What is it we're searching for when we try something else on for size? Why the adventure and excitement of the great outside? Are we all really that savage and prehistoric? I despise the discomfort that comes with the morning after- sleeping on the rocky earth with only a thin layer of nylon between me and all that dirt. I hate the film of dirt that comes with waking up with it. Everything aches.

My mind is consumed with this as it is on my doorstep- again. My heart is restless trying to make sense of it.

No comments: