Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Run for the Buns"

Love the annual "Bun Run", in which local neurologist and ultra endurance athlete, Jim, bakes up his notorious sticky buns for his favorite scandalous running group. I swear, these people will take any excuse to talk about "buns" and other body parts. ;) I told Jim he is the ultra Renaissance Man- how many people do you know capable of diagnosing brain maladies and whipping up some serious pastries in a day, all while training for yet another crazy endurance race? Yep. He's a winner. A great time was had by all- pictures posted on FB spell it out.

Tomorrow is my least favorite holiday. I can think of few things I like less than the smell of turkey cooking in the oven all day, or a day dedicated to all things food. Thankful to be in the kitchen for hours? I think not. Thank goodness I have the best husband around who cares nothing about tradition and allows for the boycott, despite his love for food (that's love). He trains and races (and wins) so much, he continues to eat anything- and everything- imaginable. Actually, we don't totally hang the holiday up- the apple pie is in the oven right now (the only thing he really cares about are the desserts) and we will do select items to preserve some of the holiday feel for the sake of the little people who live here.

On that note, Owen runs a 5K in the morning, and we have family swim relays right around the corner. The sober day has come in which the entries reveal her interval, at eight years old, has surpassed mine. It is bittersweet to fill in the blanks, but wow, my girl is fast. She gets those webbed feet from dad, certainly, as my days of hanging on the side of the pool, sipping coffee, and chatting it up have not helped my times. My justification is there was never any speed there to begin with, so why push too hard? Life is short- I would rather drink my latte and enjoy the people. Coach Gene has all but given up on me, yet he still yells if I talk too long on the wall during a set- something about being a bad influence. Barry tells me he swims at least an extra 500 yards when I am not there to distract him. I am going to take that as a compliment.

All in all, in taking inventory of my life, so very many blessings. As much as I whine and complain here at my computer, I try not to be this extremely negative on the outside. Everyone needs an outlet to vent, and this is mine, I suppose. There really is so very much to be Thankful for, starting with tomorrow's early pre-race run with great, fit, funny people. How do hermits survive? Vagabonds, recluses, gypsies on the go without relationships- how do they manage? I need a network and I am elated to have that, no doubt.

No comments: