Wednesday, June 10, 2009

California Therapy

I love this time of the night. The kids are snuggled down into their warm comforters and they are reading books or watching sweet videos. They are exhausted from an invariably crazy day of running from this play date to that park, to another commitment and then the pool. I look forward to bed all day after freezing in the June Gloom, clipping around in flip flops with toes frozen. I love it. I think the high today was 64 at one point, but most of the day along the coast where we spent was in the fifties. I love it. I love being bundled in cozy sweat pants and zipping up in a favorite hoodie after a well-deserved hot shower. All is peaceful and delicious.

Tracy came over at 4:30 this morning and we ran our favorite Tour De Poway loop: ten miles of lovely rolling hills with some serious steep climbs in there, as well. Kimmie would die, if only she could see the mountains now. My quads were burning and my calves hated me, but I refused to ask Trace to back off the pace. I refused to give into the hills that have become unfamiliar strangers to me because that would be admitting weakness and slacking off. I had to ask Tracy all the questions near the end of our time together so that she would talk more and I could dedicate all of my concentration toward breathing. It's a beautiful life.

Running with girlfriends is always therapeutic, but something about running here with girlfriends is pure Prozac. They are like a shot of adrenaline to me, fueling the rush and leaving me wanting ever more (I had to corner Jen at the park today and line up the Lake Miramar run for tomorrow). I think Tracy and I solved most of our childhood issues, marital woes, and even touched on world peace- all in an hour and ten minutes this morning. Not bad considering the sun was just up and we had not had but even one cup of Joe yet. Tracy and I share a love for a great many things, but we venerate our main man, Joe, above all else. We love Joe. I am already dreaming about him on my lips tomorrow after the lake run. I love it.

Now off to snuggle my kids and read to them. I l-o-v-e it.

No comments: