Monday, June 16, 2008

Summer Lovin

Hours of beach time is what we are logging. All weekend long and now into Junior Guards today, we have seen way too much sun, but have loved every minute of it. I ran with Susan this morning, just like old times, as we pounded out the old course in the dark morning hours. It was as if a day had not gone by, though I worried the kids would wake up for my friend, Sharon, before I got back in the door.

I squeaked in a second run with the boy in the jogger while Owen was duck diving waves in Guards. The water looked anything but inviting, cold and dark blue. I wondered how she was dealing with going from 89 degree water to 65 degree temps? That girl is unstoppable and never complains; I was elated to watch from a distance while they navigated the boogie boards and ran along the shore. Ryan and I stopped at Power House Park on the way back from our run to swing and admired the many surfers and dolphins at play down below. Then it was back to the beach for more sand time, playing king of the mountain at one of Del Mar's many life guard towers, and hanging out with friends. With the fair in the landscape, it felt like summer is truly upon us, and it is! How could it be so long ago that I worked at Jake's in college and now I sat not far from it, as a parent, a wife, a mere visitor to these beaches? How could I have known so long ago what my story would be? I am not sure I would have written the book exactly this way, but God is the author of my life and He knows.

My kids have gone to bed raisins every night, between pool, ocean, pool and then showers before retiring. They really are water babies, their father's kids, wanting to be wet all of the time. I hope they inherit many of his numerous qualities and attributes, among those his affection for all things water. I hope my little Guard will soon swim the ocean like he does, with respect but also with a dose of reckless abandon. What is summer without the ocean? I have never known it any other way.

No comments: