Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Hump Day

I am beginning to think that I try to sabotage my races. Yesterday when cleaning up in the kids' art room, I slammed my foot into a metal chair and destroyed my toe. I immediately crumpled in pain. My toe then immediately became swollen and black, and it was excruciating to walk on. This would almost be funny, if not for the fact that my marathon looms in 7 days. The part that makes it seem like sabotage is the fact that one year ago, I did the same thing, on the same chair, on the same foot, 3 days out from my Half Ironman. What is my deal?

Tonight the foot was so much better and I was able to run 2 whole miles on the dreadmil. I met my workout partner, Lisa, at the gym and we lifted, too. At first, I thought she was not showing, but then I heard a distant cry from across the crowded gym, "Quad! Quad!" I am not sure if I resent or resemble the nickname yet. Behind Lisa came the man who labeled me that dubious title, Gary. Gary is a super fit, super fast Sunrunner who we all call "Skinny Ass". He is so metro sexual, totally concerned with his appearance, and dresses in really loud running shorts or cycling apparel. He is kind of creepy and always stands a little too close for comfort. I told him these things this evening, as well as the way he reminds me of a slimy professor I used to have my sophomore year in college. Skinny Ass quickly made his exit after that and left us alone to workout.

I really like Lisa. She is very real. She has a killer bod, is super fit and maintains a tan year round. She is super mellow and easy going and I think they all call her "Country" because she is kind of a redneck at heart. We really have very little in common. She is a total party girl, loves nightlife and cocktails. She is going through a sad divorce along with her two kids, and working her booty off to get by. But she is so amazingly sweet and funny and she just calls things out as she sees them. We have to respect that about her. She is quiet, but when she talks it is worthwhile and her voice never waivers. She is intentional and steady, just the way she is when she runs. There is no BS about that girl.

On the way out of the gym after picking the kids up from their classes, Owen stepped on a rusty nail in the parking lot. She was not wearing shoes. I am not sure why we are culminating in foot injury this week and I am hoping for less drama tomorrow.

No comments: