Saturday, September 30, 2006

Just What I Needed

5 am wake up call, late for me , but it is Saturday. Met the girls at Starbucks with their plan of running 22 miles to La Jolla Cove and back. I felt nervous, having not run with them since AFC Half Marathon training, and with each of them having a marathon on the horizon, I felt a little anxious to know if I could still hang. I did not need to go that far, so I thought I would just run about 2 hours. Of course we started at the Kenyan pace that defines those women who run 3:30 marathon pace and under, but it actually felt good. Even down the long, rutted, dark stretch of Carmel Valley Road, as we tripped on and jumped over the pot holes, I was happy to be there, happy to be with them, happy to be running.

My groin ache was chewing on me today, with the hamstring talking a little bit, as well. I am not sure where it came from, but I wish it would go away. I first noticed it a few weeks ago after a speed workout at the track and it has not yet subsided. On and on we gabbed until we climbed the mountain of Torrey Pines. Up and up we went, into the darkness and the fog of the morning. The miles flew by and we just moved forward into more stories of kids (new schools) and husbands (mine just got hooked 4 days ago by a fisherman's hook while running on the same beach!), mother-in-laws (challenges Tracy faces) and carpools (swim team, karate, etc). These girls are my lifeline as far as being a female. These are the women who understand what exactly works and does not work in relationships, communication, and the female brain, in general.

I said good bye at the top of La Jolla shores, 1:01 into the run, and reluctant to see them go as I turned around to head back to our cars solo. The time did me well, with so much to think about and reflect on. I often forget how great it is to run solo. It was the perfect combination: friends and chatter on the way out, the quiet of my head on the way back. I am still moved everytime I see the ocean below Torrey Pines cliffs. Where else can one enjoy the scenery of such beautiful trees, mountains and sea? I know the Northern California coast is equally as beautiful, having lived in Santa Cruz for a stint, but something about this particular course is magical. The ocean here is not dark and forboding. It almost seemed enticing, though I know it has gotten cold as of late. I fell into a groove and even wearing an ipod, I was able to hear the rhythym of my feet and the heaving of my chest as I hurled myself down the grade. I felt sorry for the guys on bikes I saw climbing the mountain as I was effortlessly going down. The fishermen were out in force (was the same guy there who is responsible for hubby's battle wound?) on the shore and the groups of Team in Training and others were loading up on their nutrition and strapping on their water belts. I was so happy to bein the home stretch with maybe 2 miles to go, give or take. Back to the car and my watch read 1:55:56. Close enough, I decided, to 2 hours and ready to quit.

There were the other usual suspects at Starbucks: the geeks on their bikes heading out to the coast and the ultra runners' cars who had gathered there a little earlier, as well. I love this community and this circle I call friends. I love that we all understand each other and support each other. We ask about races and we challenge each other to greater things. It used to be running a marathon was an accomplishment. Now that is old news. Now we need to compete in three sports to feel worthy of our morning cup of coffee.

I headed off to the gym and lifted legs and shoulders. My legs were shaking under the weight of squats and lunges. I think I might pay for it tomorrow, but today it was just what I needed.

No comments: