Sunday, July 30, 2006

Yep, he did it again

He did it again. My hubby won the Aquathlon down at La Jolla Shores. I guess some would argue that this is a small feat, a little race, but I think it is pretty cool. I mean, the Tri Club has thousands of members, though only a few hundred who participate in these races. Probably about 200 competed in this one. It does my heart such good to see my super fit, super cute hubby, racing his heart out. I love when he is motivated and doing something he is good at and enjoys (most of the time).

His swim was great...top 3 or 4 out of the water, I think. He wears not a wetsuit and doesn't bother to don shoes for the 3 mile beach run, so his transition is seconds through the little neon green cones. He was off and running. He caught the first two guys and maintained a healthy lead. When he came around the first loop and turnaround, my heart skipped a beat when I realized Jameson was closer than I think he anticipated and Jameson was on a mission. I knew my boy was running scared, but seemingly so comfortable (easy for me to say on the sidelines, I realize). Hubs cranked the final loop, brought it home and spanked a couple of friends on their tukises for good measure, both who he lapped. It must be nice to be an ultra performance athlete. I must say I miss doing the Aquathlon series this year, but anything I would do is so middle of the pack and unmentionable. It is kind of nice to relax on the sidelines and have a celebrity for a spouse. Our 5 year old expects it now. She runs to the finish and simply asks, "Did you win, daddy?" I think she would be disgusted if he didn't turn up a metal these days. But, really, how could he not?

As for me, I have been sticking to the one workout I really have to coax myself into doing: swimming the La Jolla Cove every Friday. Week in and week out, I dread going, but as soon as I am in the water, I feel so good. Not just refreshed from the heat we are melting in, but good that I can be out in a beautiful place and almost even luxuriate in the water when I get over the initial fear. I am losing my swim partner for the next 2 weeks as he is leaving to get married in Mexico. His wedding plans are really not that convenient for my training schedule, so I am trying to nail down some other girlfriend options for the next 2 Fridays. I actually got on the bike today, too, which is a first in weeks. How is it that I decided this was the weekend-no matter what-that I would ride and it rained on us the whole way? Yesterday we were soaked for our 15 mile run, as well. I will never figure out this weather. It keeps me guessing everyday. I am hoping for a dry 11 mile run tomorrow at 4 am. Let's see about that.

Goals for this week: get on the bike twice during the week (spin or ride) and one weekend ride another ocean swim in addition to my regular workouts in the pool and increase some running mileage.

No comments: