Thursday, July 06, 2006

Heroism

Last week two things transpired to make me feel like a hero. The first was completing a WHOLE track workout of 16 x 400 @ 1:28 pace. I always feel like giving out autographs when I finish a huge block of a workout like that. The day was so much sweeter knowing I did not quit when I wanted to at 12. I had told my training partners to tell me when we got to 12 since I had lost count, thinking that would be plenty for my first speed workout back. Somehow, 12 turned into 13 and then I felt like I could not quit at an odd number. When I got to 14, I thought, how could I possibly skip out with simply 2 left? Then it was over and I felt like a celebrity (for myself, of course, no one else cared).
The second heroic act I accomplished for myself was swimming the La Jolla Cove. I really hate the ocean swim, especially with a little swell bumping around out there. I was grateful for my husband who pushed me to do it, considering the fact that I was completely in denial about really going. We had talked about the possibility of it at the week's start and I really had no intention of following through. He is so good like that to challenge my fears and push me further than I want to go. I was also hugely grateful to bump into a much faster swimmer friend who graciously offered to swim next to me when he realized my deep-seated fear of open water. We made it to the first bouy, at which point the swell was tossing us around a little more than I preferred. All of a sudden, I felt so exposed out there....all the swimmers we were near missing on the way out were already back and the Cove's cliffs which so comfortingly shelter one from the abiss were suddenly so far away. There we were, no other swimmers or kayakers, far from the shore, and the sky threatening darkness. It was a little more than I wanted for the Friday night, so I begged to come in. Whew! A whole huge swim out to the quarter mile bouy and back. Am I a hero, or what?
Of course, after I am back on dry land, it always feels like a holiday. I convince myself the sting rays and many creatures are not as bad as they seemed and I talk myself into going back again. Let's see if I can pull it off again. God, please do not let me have a panic attack and drown out there.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you ever thought about getting SCUBA certified? I do a lot of diving (for work and fun) and knowing what's down there keeps me calm and relaxed when I'm bobbing at the surface. I think it's the fear of the unknown that makes open water swims creepy, yknow? Once you have an image of all the cool stuff below you, it's no longer so scary. Just a thought.

amrunner said...

Maybe, but isn't ignorance bliss? I do worry about what might nibble on me, but I think the fear is more of strange and strong ocean conditions. Crazy, I know.
Is it difficult to become certified?

Unknown said...

Not too hard... only a weekend in the classroom/pool and then a couple open water dives. (In my opinion it should actually be more difficult - there are a lot of people who are certified and have no idea what they are doing, which is dangerous. But as long as you pay attention during class you'd be just fine.)

It really is fun. Considering how active you and hubby are, and considering where you live, I'm surprised you aren't already certified! You could cruise up the coast to the Channel Islands and do some awesome kelp forest diving.