Monday, July 05, 2010

Summer Time and the Living is Fine

When the girl is in mild climate, it's fine. My run on the horse trails was peaceful and fragrant. The cool morning air carried with it the smell of chaparral and sweet jasmine. My only company were the thoughts running through my head, elated to be back to something familiar.

I traced the rusty red trails with my feet for several miles, lost in thought. With hardly any light to begin the day, I felt rebellious to be out on my own, as though lost in the wild somewhere. For a moment, I had myself convinced of this adventure, until I reached the street and was brought back to reality by wild honking. The lunatic was only Tracy, on her way to catch a crazy run up some mountain.

I told myself I would turn back after only 20 minutes, knowing I had a race the following day, but of course, I didn't. I promised myself I wouldn't punish my legs with hill repeats up and down the street, but I couldn't resist. Perhaps that is why my legs just wouldn't go any faster than they did for the 15K. I really don't care. I had a great time running and I can live with 1:08. I beat my brother-in-law by three minutes, which is great, considering all the smack he talked on the drive down. Hanging out with John allows me to feel closer to Marc while he is not here. While I couldn't let him trump me, I feel I have lost most of my competitive edge, and it feels fabulous.

I chased some guy in an American flag Speedo for the second half of the race, and it made me emotional. Proud to be an American, elated to be living free, excited to be back in civilization where people actually do wear silly, attention-getting get ups. I wasn't arrogant enough to think any of Speedoman's cat calls were for me, running on his heels. I came in fourth in my age group, which never feels great. I think I would rather be 20th than be that close to a podium finish.

As we tried to high tail it out of there, I found Speedoman at the finish and asked him to pose with me in a picture. He must have thought I was a freak, but he put his arm around me and smiled for the camera anyway. I sent it to all of my Florida friends.

God bless America.

No comments: