Saturday, March 29, 2008

Here and There

I'm so ready for this school year to be over already. I feel as though we have limped through the whole thing, hated the teacher, despised the class and administration, disagreed with the curriculum, and on and on. I am so ready to pull my kids early and board the plane bound for happier places, see family, and run Rock N Roll Marathon with friends from both here and there. I am counting down the days to get there, hitting the pavement here, as if running more mileage will get me there faster. Last week was a big mileage week, this week coming up will be more of the same. Time on the bike, while fun, seems meaningless for what is on the race calendar.

There is so much going on between now and then, that I am hoping the time will pass quickly. Parties, races, travel with TNT for their races, the schedule is booked. Owen's triathlon is quickly approaching, about as fast as the school year is winding down. Her training has been on par, so she is feeling as strong as any seven year old should. She received one of the coveted spots with the Junior Guards in Del Mar, and she is very much looking forward to being a "Turtle" this summer. Luckily, she will swim with her old team this summer, so that will keep us busy, as well. The little guy is moving forward with tennis, and more and more, people comment on his backhand. He is a reluctant participant, but doing so well when he focuses once we bribe him with his one true love: chocolate. How can two children be so different? One who cannot sit still to save her life and must participate in every sport under the sun; the other one who could care less about movement and activity and loves to read and indulge in confections. I think there is balance somewhere in between the two of them.

I did an ocean swim this morning with the Team and was convinced something was going to eat me out there. The bait fish were running at dawn, which we are told is the worst time to be out there in the midst of bull sharks feeding. The ocean here is a very dangerous place, when one considers the man of wars, the bull sharks, and the hammerheads who cruise close to shore. I can't say I am ever very happy about getting in the sea on this side of things, but I do it, hyperventilating all the while. The group complained that the water was a chilly 72 degrees, but the sunrise was beautiful and the stairways to heaven were many. Tomorrow we ride. Another week in paradise, depending on what your definition of that may be.

No comments: