Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Rituals

Rituals. We all have them. Are our rituals interchangable with superstitions or are they something independent? Do we wear the same outfit we wore to a previously successful race or event with the hope of a similar outcome? Rituals often are ceremonious. They can feel like an obsessive compulsive behavior if we insist on practicing such rituals as we have done in the past to get it "just right". Rituals can be like traditions, too, right? We often like to participate in rituals so that it feels familiar, something we are accustomed to, something that reminds us of the past and creates another memory. I like to think of rituals as the little acts that help prepare us to be better athletes. Maybe these rituals help create better people in us if we are repeating positive behaviors and shring our insite with others?

I know someone who does a little Shakkira dance at the start of a race, hip rotation and all. People, this is not pretty. I know someone else who always recites the same thing standing at that line: "Trip the standing and hurdle the fallen." He still thinks it is funny everytime, and honestly, I do, too. I have yet another friend who goes into seclusion in the days and weeks leading into an event to clear her head. She is like a hermit pre-marathon. Another spazy friend tunes into his ipod and tunes the rest of the world out as he sets up his bike and lays out his nutrition for a triple event. We make fun of him, but it clears his head in a way nothing else can. It is my ritual to bring my grande soy latte to the pool on these frigid mornings so I can slide in the water with a little better attitude (less cursing as I dangle my toes in the pool to check the temperature initially). I dare not think of my monthly allowance in coffee. I justify it by telling myself I am healthier for going with coffee than skipping the swim altogether.

So, what will my ritual be for LA Marathon? I am not sure. I would like to just have a repeat performance of what happened here in Carlsbad: a nice, strong marathon where I didn't come undone at mile 20. The fear of the marathon is creeping back into my feeble and unforgiving brain. My wonderful husband keeps telling me that I am "back" to my marathoning ways, yet my negative intuition wants to repeat over and over that Carlsbad was a fluke. A perfect day, with great weather and the right balance of fluid and nutrition. I realize I am talking about that day as though I ran a 2:37, as opposed to the added hour I truly ran it in. I think I have just been so paralyzed by negative thoughts and discouraging times, I would be elated to think I could climb somewhere closer to the 3:30 range in which I used to run the marathon.

Rituals? I know I have them. These are as common as OCD among the triple A triple sport athlete. Maybe I will repeat what I did that day for Carlsbad: Slimfast shake at 4:30 am, followed by a cup of McDonalds coffee (they were the only establishment open at 5 am on Sunday, and yes, I was fearful someone I knew would see me in the drivethru....how embarassing!), half a bagel one hour before and a banana with 30 minutes to the start. And, how can I forget? The little green Jelly Bellies in my belly along the way. The time now seems to be dragging to raceday, with still two 22 mile runs to go, including this weekend when I have to do one solo. Yet, somehow, I know March 4th will be here all of a sudden, like the last 100 feet in the drop from an airplane. I am ready to pull the ripcord. And, I am going to wear the same outfit I wore in Carlsbad. Not so much because I am superstitious, but I love wearing something new to a race. This is my ritual.

Kudos to my swim geek husband who did the one hour swim at the noon Masters workout today. He did the best overall at the workout, with 5025 yards in 60 minutes. I love that I am married to a true swimmer. What is the attraction? It could be the speedo, or maybe I fell in love with his little ritual of the squirmy little dive he does into that end of the pool every time he begins. He claims he has a sloppy stroke, but I would take it if I could do five grand in that time, too.

No comments: